Friday, 27 March 2015

Washing my hair in Calabar braids

A lot of ladies have asked me about washing my hair in calabar braids as seen in my regimen every wash day. In this post, I’m going to explain how I wash my hair using this method.



Calabar is a popular Nigerian term for putting your hair in jumbo braids especially when you've just loosened it or finished washing and drying it. It isn't restricted to natural or relaxed hair although mostly naturals do this. Coincidentally, we have a State (Cross River) whose Capital is Calabar, though I strongly doubt that the term originated from there.

I first read about this method of washing my hair on Rehairducatiion by Lade. Lade is a Nigerian with waist length hair and she achieved this with what she calls her wig regimen. You should check out her blog and read more on it. She said that as her hair became longer, it was more difficult washing it in its neutral position and she started washing in calabar braids after reading it somewhere. This helped her reduce shedding and breakage on her wash days. Rehairducation was one of the very first blogs I read before starting my hair journey and after reading about calabar braids I decided to incorporate that as well and now I have less shedding and breakage on my wash days.

This is how I wash in calabar braids;
After pre-pooing if I do one, I put my hair in calabar braids (see picture below) either about 10 or less. Although now that my hair is fuller I may have to increase the number. Once my hair is in braids, I proceed to shampoo, do a tea rinse, deep condition and air dry in the braids. I don’t loosen the braids till my hair is about 50% dry and then leave it till 80% dry before applying me leave-ins. I must confess though that my braids sometimes loosen after shampooing and I have learnt to increase the number of braids to avoid this as it could lead to serious breakage.


Calabar braids aren't for everyone and may not work for you so find what works and stick with it. Yemi of Great Lengths tried washing in braids and noticed more breakage so she had to revert to washing her hair in its neutral position which works fine for her now.
I would advice that you if you are just starting your hair journey, you could try washing your hair in braids first as it will be easier to manage before deciding which method to stick with. But like I said this doesn't work for everybody so if you already know it won’t work then don’t bother trying.

I hope you found this post useful.

How do you wash your hair ladies?

Have an awesome, fun-filled weekend…

2 comments:

  1. I also wash my hair in Calabar braids. When I wash in neutral position...it gets matted

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same goes for me too. The braids make it easier to access my roots. Although the neutral position works for some.

    ReplyDelete